ProgrammingConditions for Educational Success
A successful French immersion program reflects current research and best practices from its entry point through Grade 12, including:
- ongoing development of all —listening, speaking, reading and writing across all subject areas;
- a wide range of courses offered in French, both and ;
- availability of authentic appropriate to the age, interests and language skills of students;
- availability of ;
- continuous evaluation of student achievement and progress;
- and support materials developed or adapted for immersion programs;
- systematic monitoring and evaluation of the program.
Amount of Time
Research and experience have demonstrated clearly that student proficiency in the French language is strongly correlated to the amount of time during which French is used as the language of instruction. Recognizing that many local factors may determine the time allocated to instruction in the French language, the recommends the following ranges as supportive of the objectives of French immersion.